Guymon Family Reunion 2010

Guymon Family Reunion 2010

Monday, January 30, 2012

Brussels Sprouts: 60 Seconds

So one of my favorite things about Bountiful Baskets is that we usually get some type of fruit or vegetable that I wouldn't normally buy at the store and sometimes that I have never even tried. So the fun part is cooking and eating slightly outside of my normal comfort zone. And on a few occasions I have had to call my Grandma Shirley and ask, "What is a persimmon? And how do we eat it.?" This week we got brussels sprouts and nobody at my house had ever tried them and after all they get such a bad rap I have never even thought of buying them. Anyway, after some Internet searching I finally found a technique that I thought would work best for what we normally would eat as a side dish, the result....pretty good. Not something I would want every week but, I am a huge fan of cooked cabbage and it is a very similar taste like a little mini cute cabbage. So I would definitely make them again but, would probably be a little picker with what I served them with since they are a pretty distinct taste.

60 Second Brussels Sprouts:

18 Brussels Sprouts
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Lemon
Salt & Pepper
4 Tbs Butter

1. Remove the core of the brussels spout by cutting it out in a triangle shape, like you would the core of a cabbage.
2.  Cut brussels sprouts into really thin slices. If any of the leaves fall off just roll them up and slice thin.
3. Put a Tbs of olive oil in a pan and heat it until it is smoking hot, the trick to cooking these is the high temperature so don't prematurely throw your sprouts in.
4.  When your pan is seriously hot, toss in your brussels sprouts and squeeze a half a lemon over the top and add salt and pepper to taste.
5.  Cook them for exactly 60 seconds on high heat, stirring constantly, and not over cooking.
6. Turn off heat and squeeze other half of lemon over the top and add butter, when butter is melted your ready to serve.

And the bonus, I think they are actually healthy! If you have any questions there are about a million you tube video's on this (seriously), Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment